Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Happy Saint Patrick's Day!

I remember that as a child St. Patrick's Day was a big deal. One year my grandmother even dressed me as a leprechaun. I vividly remember running around the dining room in my glittery green costume setting the table.

There is also the tale of how our great great uncle was King of the Leprechauns. Of course, he used to nip into the spirits quite a bit, but that is what he claimed as he did his Irish jig around the room. =) Therefore as children my sister and I used to claim we had leprechaun blood. =)

I tried to share the tale with my girls this year. Shaely promptly got on the phone and called Mama to find out if I was telling the truth. =) Of course she was already leery of the concept of leprechans due to the fact her preschool teacher had told them how last year a leprechaun had used the bathroom and forgot to flush (think green water!). =0) They had been making leprechaun traps in school this past week. The other night at 2:00 in the morning Shaely calls to us that she has to got to the bathroom and keeps asking if it is St. Patty's Day. We keep telling her to go to the bathroom, but she won't. Finally Brian goes in and we realize that she is scared that there may be a leprechaun in the bathroom. It was hilarious, but not really at 2:00am. Hence the next morning I talked about how magical leprechauns are and how they tend to visit school, not houses. I also told them how their great great great uncle was king of the leprechauns, which of course then sparked the aforementioned phonecall to Mama. =)
So, although it doesn't hold the same magnitude of importance as it did as a child, I love St. Patty's Day. The thought of leprechauns, wearing green and magic makes me smile.

HAPPY SAINT PATRICK'S DAY!!!

2 comments:

  1. I totally talked about great Uncle Willy in carpool this morning. Did Mom tell Shaely it was true? I remember last year Brinly came up to me allll excited:
    Brin: Ellie! Ellie! Did you know we are related to leprechauns?
    Me: ohyoumean great Uncle Willy?
    Brin: ... (wide-eyed silence)

    ReplyDelete