Saturday, March 6, 2010

Pure Joy

She was so sad that she didn't get to go see the new Alice in Wonderland movie.

My littlest daughter was jumping up and down in anticipation. My two girls and husband had been talking about the Alice in Wonderland release for weeks! Although I had extreme doubts about the appropriateness for either girl, I was willing to give it a go. As the time grew closer, I told my hubby that our littlest shouldn't go. He agreed, but she really wanted to go so we were going to give in.

As we prepared to leave for the theater, the nagging sensation in my gut grew. I knew that this wasn't a wise move. Looking at my husband I saw the doubt in his eyes as well. I decided to look it up online. There are numerous sites that specify the recommended ages for movies. Although rated PG, the movie was recommended for 11+ by many people. There were a few 7, 8, 10s, but for the most part it was geared toward older children. Brian said he thought that our 8 year old would be fine, but the youngest...

Looking at Shaely, I told her that this movie was too scary for her. I waited with abated breathe for the tantrum to ensue. Nothing... she just crumpled to the ground. My husband picked her up and she proceed to cry. I felt awful. Finally I bribed her- my husband suggested she and I go to frozen yogurt and she was sold. So as Brian and Brinly left, we got in the car and headed out for our mini yogurt date.

We had a fabulous time! We talked and giggled. We went to the nearby Little Gym and got information to sign her up for gymnastics with her friend. Then on the way home she said she wanted to go to the park so WE DID! We ran around and played. I haven't played like that with her in so long. It was uplifting. The pure joy on her face as she raced over the play structure and catapulted herself down the slide reminded me of all the fun I had as a child playing outdoors. She was content and happy. She didn't see the movie. She didn't have a little friend playing with her. Guess what? She could have cared less. She was playing with her mom and she was happy.

What started out as a sad morning turned into a good day. I truly am blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment